Thursday, March 25, 2010

American Food

Recently, Fed Up: The School Lunch Project asked readers what they thought represents the American food culture. The point of the question was that American food is often portrayed as junk food and that we should be fighting against that stereotype. I wholeheartedly agree. I am quite concerned about the state of the American food industry/culture and the effect it is having on ourselves, the environment and future generations.

The Fed Up blog is a day to day look at one elementary school in the USA and the horrible "food" it is serving students. One point being brought up endlessly in the comments from current and ex-students is that if the bad junk food options are there, they'll eat them.

I am a product of the American public school lunch system and its unhealthy choices.

Today, I discovered a US Food Store just a few blocks from the university library. It's filled with every over processed, preservative filled, high fructose corn syrup snack food you could imagine. The food is there. So I bought it. And I will continue to buy it. Because Pop Tarts are delicious and I'm a hypocrite. Mmmm.


That's all I got for today and a good thing too because there weren't prices displayed next to anything and I ended up paying WAY more than I would have for this food in the US.

I'm being played by dirty sales tricks in order to pay for food that is ridiculously unhealthy for me....and I can't find it in me to care because I have root beer!

Those who have been following my twitter are aware of the withdrawals I have been having from lack of root beer. There is no root beer in the Netherlands (except in US food stores, apparently). When I asked my program advisor to verify this for me, she said, "Hmm, I don't think I've ever had root beer. I guess in Holland you just drink regular beer as a kid."

To be honest, I don't really drink a ton of root beer back home. In fact, I don't really eat any of the stuff in the US Food Store too often. I suppose you never miss it until you can't have it.

No comments: